I’m interested in capturing the essence of things in each art form. Words and images are like mirrors inviting viewers to discover their personal relationship with the image/author. Each poem, each story, each photograph and sketch is an invitation.
The best thing about writing and travel are the people I meet. I want to meet you, so please take a moment to share your thoughts on my posts.
Travels include sojourns to Kenya and Tanzania, two trips to Morocco, one to Andalucia, and two to Mexico, the last completed an on-again-off-again extended sail across Caribbean Sea over a four-year period. Most recently, she made a solo trip to Cuba exploring the Oriente, the island’s easternmost region (her fourth extended visit to Cuba).
A Breeze You Whisper: Poems. Available through your local bookstore or online: A Breeze You Whisper
Calla & Édourd: Fiction. Available through the publisher: Hidden Brook Press
The Farm & City Cookbook: Essays and recipes. Available through your local bookstore or online: The Farm & City Cookbook
Articles and Poems have been published in literary journals, magazines, and so on.
Besides my website, other writing includes a blog Adventures Over Land and Sea, sailing the Caribbean from St. Martin to Cuba (for three seasons) and on to Isla Mujeres, Mexico, and finally to the north shore Lake Ontario (2014 through spring, 2017).
- “Heron in the Sunset,” photograph, jury show, “8th Annual Fall SOTH Show, Art Emporium By the River, Port Hope (September 6-30, 2018; opening 7th from 5 to 7 p.m.)
- “Paula” sketch, “Life Drawing,” The Old Church Gallery, Bailieboro (Summer, 2018)
- “Zen Serenity” photograph, QAC’s Art in the Community (Bay of Quinte theme), Summer 2018
- Two photographs, “Liminal-Subliminal” theme jury show, John M. Parrott Gallery, May 3-31, 2018
- Cards: photographs and sketches (for sale in QAC gallery)
- Slide presentation to Canada-Cuba Literary Alliance (CCLA) 2015
- Photos and articles “Umbrella,” Quinte Arts Council (occasional)
- “With a Woman’s Eye: A Photo Retrospective” (Ban Righ Centre, Queen’s University: November 1992 through January 1993
- Various in private collections (since 1982)
Other relevant information:
- Mid-to-late 1990s: Key to Kingston (editor)
- 1995: Byron House Publishing (year-long contract as managing editor)
- 1981 through 1985: Harrowsmith and Equinox magazines and Camden House Publishing (editorial staff)
Presentations & Workshops:
- Please contact me about a presentation or workshop for your group or, perhaps, individual coaching.
- Professionally, Kathryn is a member of http://quinteartscouncil.org/profile/kathryn-macdonald/, Spirit of the Hills Art Association, and The Writers’ Union of Canada.
Education:Kathryn holds a B.A. from the University of Windsor (Ontario, Canada) and an M.P.A. from Queen’s University (Kingston, Ontario, Canada). She studied photography with Vern Harvey (St. Clair College, Windsor, Ontario) and Bill Law (University of Windsor).
Social media membership: Urban Sketchers.
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: https://kathrynmacdonald.com