Writer, visual artist, and workshop facilitator
I’m interested in capturing the essence of things. With each poem, story, photograph or sketch, an invitation is extended to readers or viewers to engage and to discover a personal relationship.
The best thing about writing and travel are the people I meet. I want to meet you, so please take a moment to share your thoughts on my posts.
Travels include sojourns to Kenya and Tanzania, two trips to Morocco, one to Andalucia, and two to Mexico, the last completed an on-again-off-again extended sail across Caribbean Sea over a four-year period. Most recently, she made a solo trip to Cuba exploring the Oriente, the island’s easternmost region (her fourth extended visit to Cuba).
A Breeze You Whisper: Poems. Available through your local bookstore or online: A Breeze You Whisper
Calla & Édourd: Fiction. Available through the publisher: Hidden Brook Press
The Farm & City Cookbook: Essays and recipes. Available through your local bookstore or online: The Farm & City Cookbook
Articles and Poems have been published in literary journals, magazines, and so on.
Besides my website, other writing includes a blog Adventures Over Land and Sea, sailing the Caribbean from St. Martin to Cuba (for three seasons) and on to Isla Mujeres, Mexico, and finally to the north shore Lake Ontario (2014 through spring, 2017).
- “Heron in the Sunset,” photograph, jury show, “8th Annual Fall SOTH Show, Art Emporium By the River, Port Hope (September 6-30, 2018; opening 7th from 5 to 7 p.m.)
- “Paula” sketch, “Life Drawing,” The Old Church Gallery, Bailieboro (Summer, 2018)
- “Heron Hunkered Down” photograph, QAC’s Art in the Community, Bay of Quinte theme, (Summer 2018)
- “Out of the Mist” and “Zen Serenity” — Liminal-Subliminal” theme, photographs, jury show, John M. Parrott Gallery (May 3-31, 2018)
- Cards: photographs and sketches (for sale in QAC gallery)
- Slide presentation to Canada-Cuba Literary Alliance (CCLA) (October 2015)
- Photos and articles “Umbrella,” Quinte Arts Council (occasional)
- “With a Woman’s Eye: A Photo Retrospective” (Ban Righ Centre, Queen’s University (November 1992 through January 1993)
- Various in private collections (since 1982)
Other relevant information:
- 1995-present, writing coach, workshop facilitator, college instructor, analyst/researcher/ghost writer
- Mid-to-late 1990s: Key to Kingston (editor)
- 1995: Byron House Publishing (year-long contract as managing editor)
- 1981 through 1985: Harrowsmith and Equinox magazines and Camden House Publishing (editorial staff)
- B.A. (University of Windsor); MPA (Queen’s University, Kingston)
- Writing: studied with Alistair MacLeod; mentored by W.O. Mitchell (UofW)
- Photography: studied with Bill Law (Art: UofW) and Vern Harvey (Technical: St. Clair College)
Presentations & Workshops:
- Please contact me about a presentation or workshop for your group or, perhaps, individual coaching.