Writer, visual artist, and workshop facilitator based in Ontario Canada.
“If I had to choose one word for [Kathryn’s] poetry, I’d say ‘sensuality.’… A Breeze You Whisper entwines, with simplicity and smoothness, two major themes at the core of poetry: nature and love” (“Whispers and Flames,” (“Whispers and Flames,” In A Fragile Moment: A Landscape of Canadian Poetry by Miguel Angel Olivé Iglesias, HBP, 2019.)
Kathryn has recently completed a new poetry manuscript with the working title A Little Wild: Journeys. The title comes from a poem in the first section – The Blue Gate – an adventure in Kenya. The second section – In Love with the Wind – journeys through Morocco and Andalucia, with extended sailing across the Caribbean Sea and long stops in Cuba and the Yucatan, Mexico. These travel poems continue her exploration of nature and love as she seeks an unreachable horizon.
(Featured photo: Weeds to Abstraction in a Northern Lake; Kate’s photo by Alber Hernandez, Cuba)
Recent anthologies, chapbooks, literary journals (Poetry):
- “Choreography,” Amethyst Review.
- “Past Midnight,” Amethyst Review.
- “Casting Off,” “Casting Off,” Devour: Art & Lit Canada (p. 42).
- “Journey,” “Ashes,” Chapbook (Forward by Lorna Crozier, Wintergreen Studios Press, December 2018.).
A Breeze You Whisper: Poems. Available through your local bookstore or online: A Breeze You Whisper
Calla & Édourd: Fiction. Available through the publisher: Hidden Brook Press
The Farm & City Cookbook: Essays and recipes. Available through your local bookstore or online: The Farm & City Cookbook
Articles and reviews in magazines such as Watershed, The Link, and Umbrella.
Besides my website, other writing includes a blog Adventures Over Land and Sea, sailing the Caribbean from St. Martin to Cuba (for three seasons) and on to Isla Mujeres, Mexico, and finally to the north shore Lake Ontario (2014 through spring, 2017).
- “Heron in the Sunset,” photograph, jury show, “8th Annual Fall SOTH Show, Art Emporium By the River, Port Hope (September 6-30, 2018; opening 7th from 5 to 7 p.m.)
- “Paula” sketch, “Life Drawing,” The Old Church Gallery, Bailieboro (Summer, 2018)
- “Heron Hunkered Down” photograph, QAC’s Art in the Community, Bay of Quinte theme, (Summer 2018)
- “Out of the Mist” and “Zen Serenity” — Liminal-Subliminal” theme, photographs, jury show, John M. Parrott Gallery (May 3-31, 2018)
- Cards: photographs and sketches (for sale in QAC gallery)
- Slide presentation to Canada-Cuba Literary Alliance (CCLA) (October 2015)
- Photos and articles “Umbrella,” Quinte Arts Council (occasional)
- “With a Woman’s Eye: A Photo Retrospective” (Ban Righ Centre, Queen’s University (November 1992 through January 1993)
- Various in private collections (since 1982)
Other relevant information:
- Freelance writer, primarily arts articles
- 1995-present, writing coach, workshop facilitator, college instructor, analyst/researcher/ghost writer
- Mid-to-late 1990s: Key to Kingston (editor)
- 1995: Byron House Publishing (year-long contract as managing editor)
- 1981 through 1985: Harrowsmith and Equinox magazines and Camden House Publishing (editorial staff)
- B.A. (University of Windsor); MPA (Queen’s University, Kingston)
- Writing: studied with Alistair MacLeod; mentored by W.O. Mitchell (UofW)
- Photography: studied with Bill Law (Art: U of W) and Vern Harvey (Technical: St. Clair College)
Presentations & Workshops:
- Please contact me about a presentation or workshop for your group or, perhaps, individual coaching.